Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

Staying In Touch

I've been paying much more attention to my family and how we work. And how we don't work, for that matter.

Like our attempt to put Kendi in kindergarten. We learned the awesome lesson of failing big and I ain't mad at all. That simply did not work for our family. But our recent homeschool review, our first, was a heroic success! That works. 

Trial and error, it's the scientific process.

Another thing I've noticed is that we need to stay in touch to feel balanced. I mean, really in touch! All three of us; we send texts, we message each other on Facebook and we have long talks. Every morning we ask about dreams, every night we ask about each other's day. 

But we also need to physically stay in touch. We're a very 'touchy feely' trio! We're hand-holding, hugging, kissing folks. All the time.  

And when we're experiencing a disconnect or imbalance, touching helps us. It helps us a lot. When Kendi is upset or especially when he thinks he's in trouble, he needs a hug or he gets hysterical. If Mar and I are having a disagreement, even if I want to scream at him I also need to hug him and hold his hand. Not to make the disagreement stop, but to reconnect and remind myself that no matter what, we're coming from a place of love. We're not fighting, we're not enemies, we're two people who are so passionate about making the other happy that we occasionally make the other nuts.

I was not raised in a 'touchy feely' or emotionally expressive house. We expressed anger but that was about it. This is the polar opposite of my entire life of relationships but that's probably a very good thing. The best thing is how happy we generally are with each other and with ourselves as a family. We FEEL close and that feels damn good.

So we stay in touch. :)

And here's a fantastic video on practicing the language of love! PS. WE LOVE YOU!

[LOVE WORKS] Ep. 2: Practice Makes Perfect - Video - EBONY 

1 comment:

Shelly- Mom Files said...

We are a touchy-feely family too. We are proud to have raised our children that way and hope they will do the same with their own family in the future.